Tuesday, May 15, 2012

I (almost) got admission into Kindergarten

I have been trying my utmost to get admission to a Kindergarten Grade ever since I came to know that my parents never sent me to such a fun loving atmosphere. I had a great desire to learn to communicate, play and interact with others appropriately. I wanted to learn the language and vocabulary of Reading, Mathematics, Sciences, Music, Art, and Social Behaviors. I felt that the curriculum at Kindergarten gives the first opportunity to play and interact with a consistent group of kids on regular basis. I would like to run fast blindly to hit a tree or a wall to learn the topography of Discipline.

I tried to get help from every kid in the family starting first with my younger cousins and then with my nephews and nieces and with neighboring kids. No body helped me. Most of them will laugh away taking it as a crude joke, some will be half serious, some will refuse to take me as a class fellow. Others will be serious and will like to take permission from their teacher.

Jania was ever reluctant to help me get admitted to her KG class. She will sight so many excuses like her friends objections to her grandpa joining the class room, or there was no slot available for me to sit. She refused to share even her seat though when requested.

Today was a lucky day for me, as a part of deal with the Live Oak Elementary School management, she has been made Principal for a day. She will remain with the Principal and observe her minutely the functioning of the Principal Office and its activities. She will also get a chance to see how the Principal solves various kids problems on site.

Hence she was excited since yesterday. Seeing the iron hot, I hit it hard to request her to help me for admission to KG class where I should be able to sit by her side, listen to the teacher and learn from her and above all hang out with her and her friends.
To my good luck, as she happened to be the Principal for a day, agreed to admit me. She told it was possible as her friend Meghna, sitting next to her, had just left for India and her seat was vacant and I could occupy the same slot. But she warned me to follow the following rules:

Rules
  • When you get into the class room, you will sit quietly on the carpet in Criss-Cross and applesauce manner
  • You should not shout or yell.
  • You take a black pen and write it over the Pencil line.
  • You should write slowly and beautifully.
  • You have to raise your hand if you have any questions
  • Two fingers are raised to quiet the super shouting
  • You will be called by your first name
  • Most Important rule is to have fun while you work.



Rules were difficult to follow at this age, but I shall try if I have to take this one lifetime opportunity to attend a Kindergarten class. Excited, I started humming a poem below:

So we shall read and play together,
Enjoy our snacks together,
Then run fast together
Cutting across the winds on the Black Top in the hot and cold weather,
Play on swings, slides and gates,
Go for the drinking fountain breaks.
Wait for the ride to home
To be with the family all together.




Jania with Principal

Jania is just back from the school, she simply forgot to get my admission in the KG Class. She promises that she will send a note ( Principal like)to the Principal's office to admit her Grandpa in her class. I doubt very much it will help. I have lost the golden opportunity and  my hopes are shattered... as I will never ever study in KG Class.











© preet mohan singh., all rights reserved

No comments: