Friday, November 24, 2017

Harvinder College Mate Madhurima Nyati


Thanks to Facebook that Harvinder got in touch with Madhurima and since then they have been exchanging notes as to how the life turned out for each of them in last four decades. Madhurima, just retired as English Professor in Bhilwara, is visiting her younger son Kandarp in San Jose as Nyati family is looking forward to a baby boy at the dot of new year.  Some pictures at the time Baby Shower in their place.







Baby Shower Party in Kandarp and Priyanka's home in San Jose


I remember to have met first Madhurima in Jan/Feb1973 when she had come to Delhi and was staying in Chandni Chowk with a cousin. We had two-three meetings including one in our house in Jangpura Extension.




I also remember to have gone to see off Madhurima at the Delhi Railway Station. While sitting in the train car near the window, she invited us for ensuing Holi in Ajmer. Invitation for Holi playing was a strange to me as besides being a Punjabi, I hated playing colors in the fear they would disfigure my face, clothes and turban. But Harvinder told me later that it is very common Rajasthani tradition to invite close friends and family for playing Holi together. Her friendly nature impressed me. 

Now even after 44 years, Madhurima continues to respectfully address me as 'Jija Ji' and it does humble me in a world where you call each other by first name only.


No comments: