Friday, October 2, 2020

Why I left India, my Cousin  asks me 

My cousin Pushpa Butta Agnihotri asks me a few questions?

Read it all. You have done a lot in your life.while talking about your studies ,you haven't written anything about the studies in Delhi,when you were living with Nani, or did I miss it? 

How did launch on Zoom go

Why did you decide to come to USA because you were very well off in India also?

Here is my Answer.

Me:

One word answer - 1984 riots. 

You have reopened my wounds.


During those horrible days there were about 1000 rowdy people with Lathis and kerosine to attack any body looking Sikhe on the Bhogal side of house.

So one sad day we left the house leaving my Mom heavily invalid inside the house and getting refuge with next door neighbor - the sister of Ex Chief minister being a safe house. Thanks for their risky invite.

We sent our 9 years old Shivi by converting his ‘Joorha’ to ‘Gutt’ to make him look like a girl rather than a Sikh. He would in turn his Gutt again and again over the top of his head as his habit was to put his Joorha.

The time was bad for people looking like Sikhs while Others could move freely.


Worst Part.


I was brought up and raised among my cousins on maternal side, we hardly knew the difference between Hindu and Sikhs. But on that fateful period none of them came to rescue me and my family. I was with an invalid Mom, old Dad, a woman and a helpless kid to defend and felt extremely helpless.

Except for Prema Bhenji who came on 5th day, no body of my close relatives asked my whereabouts and even till TODAY. 


The incident pained my inside harshly and in fact effected my generations. My Dad who had seen the Partition virtually, advised to move out of this country. So I came to reco visit my in-laws in 1988 if I could fit in this new society - America. You are right I had a prestigious Senior Class One job in the GOI and a palatial house in posh South Delhi and other assets and huge lands (three times the sealing limits). I needed time to wrap up my huge properties and Agriculture land. And finally landed here in early 1991.


Zoom was launched by the Author in India- its very easy and free.


While living with Nani, I pursued my AMIE which is actually there in the main Book.


God has been very grateful on me, while I possess only of a mediocre intellect, short with bulging out tummy. But He bestowed His abundant fortunes on me like Excellent parents, beautiful and dedicated wife, outstanding and remarkable son, my loving siblings and worlds materialistic goodies. In USA. 

I turned to Business and made serial successful companies and made fortunes. At one time I was supplying Software expertise to top 500 Fortune Companies of USA. 6th largest Fleet Bank was assisted by getting Multi million contract for many years with branches in Hartford, Edison, Chicago and San Jose. The entire finances were looked after by Dari, the reason of my worry-less rise in Power and status.


Today, I opened out my heart to you, Bhenji 

Any thing it ever pains you on my inside story, please forgive me.

Pushpa Bhenji replies:

"Thank you Preet Mohan to share your painful thoughts with me. We did hear the horrible stories about 1984 incident, but never knew that someone so close had also gone through this pain. I had the impression that Satwant Behenji called Mohan veerji and he called his daughter to USA.

We were busy settling down here and saving money to go back and buy a house there since my in-laws never had a house of their own, Just living in Government quarters. Our contract here was just for 3-4 years. Also we were trying to had to support our family back home. All this took our attention and energy.

Sorry, I didn't know much about you in details. It was selfish on my part."

Me:

Life goes on!

No comments: