Friday, November 12, 2021

Tipi My Loving Baby Sister

When I was around 19 or 20 years old, now I had started growing beared on my face and was big enough to control it so that it does not go wild during the course of the day.



As was the tradition in the family, I also followed the skill of fixing my hair as close to my flesh as possible by applying Simco brand of fixer.

So whenever after bath, I would go to the dressing mirror placed on a plank and leaning on a side wall. This was a Belgian mirror with meticulously crafted golden frame specially brought by our Dad in 1955/56. It was a plane mirror that produced identical images  as it portrayed being the same size and shape as the original reflection. It was a Beveled wall mirror and it’s edges gave an embellished, subtle look further highlighted the golden frame. It was a treat to look at yourself.




This was a grand gift for my Mom as she wanted to have similar one as possessed by her favorite sister Lachhami Masi. The thrill was Papa brought her even  a bigger size costing him a princely amount of Rs 13. I clearly remember the price as it was repeatedly announced to all my Moms friends and among her sisters in Delhi.

After brushing the facial hair, I would apply a small amount of fixer with my index finger on both sides of my face. I shall then tie a cotton cloth, known as ‘Thatha’, around the face. 

While I was brushing and applying fixer, my baby sister Tipi will continue to stare at me consistingly. After a while say 10-15 minutes, I will again back to dressing mirror and untie the ‘Thatha’ cautiously so that all beared hair remained fixed to my face so as to give a fresh look through out the day.

Right at that point Tipi was still watching me and  being a very vocal, speak out, “ Kaka Ji you look so handsome with your beared fixed up” I also blushed a bit.


Tipi in 1962

But this was, perhaps, the reason that I continued fixing my beared that way all my life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Enjoyed your lovely story and what a really cute name of your little sis- Tipi!