Monday, September 9, 2024

First Sketch of Guru Nanak Dev ji in Jangpura house

In 1972, I undertook the significant project of constructing two bedrooms and a drawing room on the second floor of our family house in Jangpura, which was owned jointly by my father and uncle. This was a cherished home, and my additions added to its stature and warmth. Beyond the physical structure, I was deeply involved in the aesthetics of the space, being fond of drawing and sketching.


Sketch of Guru Nanak Dev ji in our Jangpura house

One of my most meaningful creations during this time was a sketch of Shri Guru Nanak Dev Ji. This was not just a simple drawing for me; it represented my devotion and spiritual connection. I remember taking great care in having it framed. I sought out a professional framer in the Lodhi Road market, knowing it would cost more than usual, but I was committed to making sure it was done perfectly. The rates were indeed exorbitant, but the outcome was worth every penny.

This picture of Shri Guru Nanak Dev Ji quickly became a spiritual focal point in our home. It wasn't just an artwork on the wall—it became a sacred presence that influenced the very atmosphere of the house. Any big or small function held in our home had a spiritual undertone, with this image playing a central role. It radiated calmness, devotion, and a constant reminder of the Guru's teachings.


At the time of ‘Sehrabandhi’, I am accompanied by my Dad, uncle and friends and seeking blessings from pic of Baba ji


One of the most memorable occasions tied to this picture was my ‘Sehrabandhi’ ceremony. I vividly recall bowing in reverence before this image, doing Ardaas, and seeking blessings for the journey ahead. This sacred moment, anchored by the image, held deep spiritual significance for me, marking an important milestone in my life.


My Dads best friend and his classmate S Dalip Singh got the honor of tieing the Sehra on our son Shiv and doing Ardaas towards the same pic. Pammy Bhabhi is seen leading the ritual.


After 28 years, the same sacred spot witnessed another significant moment in our family's spiritual journey—the 'Sehrabandhi' of our son, Shiv. Just like I had done decades earlier, Shiv stood before the very same sketch of Shri Guru Nanak Dev Ji, bowing his head in reverence and offering his Ardaas. The same sense of devotion and connection permeated the moment, as this sketch once again became the focal point of our prayers and blessings.


Shiv after the ceremony posing with me and Harvinder


It was a beautiful reminder of how traditions and spirituality can pass through generations, with the same place and image holding immense significance for both father and son. The continuity of these moments, linked by time and devotion, created a powerful bond, one that tied together the past, present, and future of our family.


No comments: