Friday, August 27, 2010

On the 14th Death Anniversary of my Dad S.Vas Dev Singh


                           March 15, 1919 in Multan - Aug 27, 1997 in Santa Clara, Ca


On 23rd of august 1997, my fatther S Vas Dev Singh left for his heavenly abode. Known as 'Bhagat Ji' to his near and dear, he truely lived his life as humble Saint. He was  a very simple, peace-loving and God fearing man. He had no bitter enemies and no real close friends. I never found him overjoyed with happiness nor drowned by sorrows. When my grandmother died in Chandigarh, he was informed about the death around noon time. He immediately gave the first instruction to  my wife to setup the lunch before packing up for Chandigarh. At the time of my wedding, he was found doing day to day chores without asking for any special ritual except inviting the oldest living family member to bless me. Following quote of Bhai Nand Lal Ji Goya fits into his life period, as he left this world:

" Havaai Bandagi Aavurd Darr Wajood Marra,
Wagarnah zoke Chunni Aamdan Na Bood Marra'


English Translation:
Devotion to you, like the breeze, blew me
into the Garden of Existence.
         There was no other urge for me to take birth.

          Happy is the life that is spent in Your worship,

         What else is there to gain beneath the blue dome?

 While I inherited his aggricultural and urban property, I have more valuable possessions as listed below

The Passport which was issued in a Single day.




The wallet in which he always kept my picture (1967) and Harvinder (1973)






Tooth brush, Tooth Brush Case, a piece of Soap



A sewing needle and thead





His Eye-Glasses with a Cover from Dayal Opticians, Lajpat Nagar



His 'Kangha' the comb




The hand bag carrying all these articles



Legible copy of the San Francisvo Mercury News ran an Obituary on him





The Obituary in  San JoseMercury News

Death Certificate

His true and perfect life will float down the stream of time and ripple round the spheres.



No comments: