Monday, July 28, 2014

Serving Peaches In The Gurdwara

As a matter of principle I would love to pass values to my next Gen. With this in view I requested for a help from Shiv to do some service to humanity. I know he is usually very busy taking urgent calls during weekdays, while he likes to unwind himself by getting lazy on weekends.

This Sunday, I told him to pick some Peaches from our back yard tree for serving them in our Gurdwara. He took upon himself willingly to pick the biggest and the ripest peaches immediately. Our peaches are out of this world and are as big as Alphanso mangoes with sweetness and devinity of their own. 

General Harkirat Veer ji visiting his daughter Shilpy, agrees with me when we enjoy this ripened fruit early in the morning. Well appropriately cooled juices overspill from every bite we make. The overnight cool temperature of the valley makes the fruit more yummy. Veer Ji also endorses the fact that the referigerated peaches from the cold storages in the market are no match to the nature cold fruit of our back yard.
So I felt that it would be more appropriate to take this fruit to the Sunday Gurdwara for our Sangat to share & enjoy the produce. Hence with Shiv's help we picked a few of them, washed them and wiped each of them. The lot was properly placed in a basket to be presented as a part of Langar.

I was feeling proud that our fellow Sangat would be delighted to taste this unique quality of home grown organic food. So we placed the basket at the start of the dishes so that the Sangat would get the opportunity to grab it first.



But to my utter surprise, when I got my turn to be served, I felt no body had opted for the peaches. There were so many appetizers like Pakoras, Besan Burfi, Fruit chart, Gulab Jaman, Gajak and sweetened Rooh-Afza milk etc that our fellow Sangat were preferring to eat. All these items were contributions from fellow worshippers. The worshippers were naturally preferring better and tasty items.

My ego was hurt and in the process It lead me to learn a lesson. While I had misconception that my contribution would surpass any other item brought by everybody else. Guru has his own intentions and ways. The Sangat reaction forced me to think with a deep breath and another thought kept me just grounded. I must understand that I was not the only contributer and my contribution was no way superior to any one. Rather my contribution was minimal as compared to all others. 

I learned that I have to be humble at all the times, both in my words and deeds. 

Thanks Baba Ji.

No comments: