Friday, March 31, 2023

My Hindu Learning

Ramayan and Mahabharat was taught to us up to middle class in our high School.

I went to Sanatan Dharam High School, GT Road Panipat. All the three high schools were on the GT Road. There was tough competition between Arya HS and Sanatan Dharam HS while Jain High School was third one.. My Mom picked up Sanatan Dharam as it was on built on the side of the city we lived. Crossing the GT Road was a taboo.


In1955

We had a Dharam Subject 5-8th class. We learnt a lot there. Every Tuesday we collected at school temple to do Kirtan.
We used to recite Ram Charitra Manas by Tulsidas. I had my personal copy as it was included in the curriculum. 
My religion teacher had picked me sing Shalaka’s every week. I still remember a few:

नर वर धीर धर्म धुर धारी ।
नीति वचन के थे अधिकारी ॥
What a nice time it was!

No comments: