Wednesday, October 7, 2026

Mango Orchid Craze Foiled

Harvinder proudly stands under mango loaded tree of Malika variety 

Last summer, during my visit to India, I went to see my farms and also visited my dear cousin Anandbir in Patiala. His father, Sardar Pratap Singh, was my uncle, closely related to my father, and a respected leader of our community. He owned nearly 200 acres of land, and there was a time when our families farmed together under his guidance. Being older than my father, he was always looked upon with great respect.

With Mohni Bhabhi in their well furnished palatial house in Patiala.

Since childhood, we frequently visited their family, and I developed a close friendship with Anandbir and his younger brother, Brijbir, who sadly left us for his heavenly abode a couple of years ago.

Harvinder’s best buddy Bholi Bhabhi w/o dearest late Brijbir who left us at a very young age, in their farm house in Patiala. A special pic under the portrait of uncle Sardar Partap Singh in their farms in Patiala offers heartfelt tribute to greatest Sardar of our times.

Visiting Anandbir’s beautiful home in Patiala brought back many memories. His front and back yards were wonderfully maintained, filled with fruit trees, flowers and greenery. Anandbir was delighted to have us, and Harvinder was immediately attracted to a mango tree laden with beautiful, still-unripe Malika fruit. She insisted on having her photograph taken beside it.


Anandbir strongly encouraged me to plant a Mallika mango orchard on my farm. He felt it could eventually become quite profitable. I liked the idea and discussed it several times with Dr. Rang of Punjab Agricultural   University and with his brother Pinky Wahid, who runs a well-known nursery near Patiala.

After several conversations, Pinky gave me very practical advice: as an absentee farmer, I should not undertake a full mango orchard. Mango trees require close attention and personal supervision for four or five years before becoming properly productive. 

I particularly appreciated his sincerity. Even in this age, when he could easily have encouraged me to plant an orchard and earned considerably more business for himself, Pinky cared more about giving me the right advice. Hats off to Pinky for putting honesty before business.

I accepted his advice and dropped the idea of a full orchard.

But I still wanted at least one mango tree on our farm.

Amarpali sappling planted near one of my tube wells

Yesterday, Meghraj, who has looked after our land for many years, brought and planted an Amrapali mango tree and sent me its photograph today. If all goes well, we hope to see its first fruit by the summer of 2027.

So the dream of a mango orchard may have been set aside, but one little mango tree now stands on our farm. Let us see how it grows. Perhaps, in its own way, it will keep alive the memory of that pleasant summer afternoon with Anandbir in Patiala.

A handsome Sardar from Multan

Anandbir was wearing a turban of a rather unique and attractive color. I admired it, and he immediately insisted on getting one of exactly the same color for me. In fact, we had started to proceed towards the market when Harvinder called us back because we were running short of time. So that expedition remained unfinished and, as I keep reminding Anandbir, he still owes me a turban!


No comments: