Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Adult tutoring by Mom



In the afternoon after a nap, she will take out the sewing machine and make clothes for all my sisters. While she will do the stitching, would ask me my immediate sister to bring the books to do home work. I would quickly do my home work, while a year younger sister would lag behind. My mom would give her harsh verbal thrashing presuming that she would also know as much as the older brother. I do not know why I liked her being thrashed by Mom and remember vividly even after 65 years.

My Mom Savitri Devi and oldest sister Bhagwant Kaur

Pre school to elementary tutoring was expertly done by Mom herself. She felt very proud to teach the elementary education even to adults. A neighbor Kushalya, a recently married lady was illiterate to a dud. Mom encouraged her to get educated and called her as Kaushalya Bhain. Initially she was shy but decided to get coaching from mom. 
So she along with a toddler son Des on her lap would join my mom school every afternoon. While me and my sister will make a fun of this neighbor stealthily, without mom having to know about it. But here after my sister got rid of the thrashing as some body else and absolutely raw getting same treatment from Mom.



Mom was more interested in Kaushalya Bhain because she twisted her tongue while speaking and that twist she will mimic and repeat it again and again to her sisters and their kids. And there will be thud of laughter all around on her mimicry.

But Kaushalya Bhain resultantly learned how to write and read while she was good in vocal math already.. Her husband Ram Parkash moved to Delhi and started his own business and would manufacture school note books and supply to schools and retailers. They had four kids, all joined the business and became very rich. When ever she came to Panipat She would bring a load full of note books me and sisters. Kaushalya Bhain was very grateful to my Mom for educating her and hence remained indebted.

No comments: