Saturday, October 6, 2018

Senior Sub Judge Hon R P Gaind, Karnal


With my Dad on a visit to Vasco-Da-Gama city in Goa in 1987, overlooking ores being transported for exports on big ships. 1/3 rd of the country's ore are exported from this shipyard. India annexed Goa from Portuguese in 1961

I started my career as a Junior Electrical Engineer with Punjab Government on Feb 13, 1965 in Karnal as there was no Haryana at that time. My Dad Sh Vas Dev Singh also was working as a Reader to Sr Sub Judge Civil Courts situated on G T Road, Karnal.

So both of us used to commute to Karnal from Panipat by a very slow passenger train starting at 7.30 AM which will take about one hour to cover a distance of 20 miles, if it was on time. And very rarely it was on time.

But it was a rare duo of father and son traveling together carrying one tiffin box stuffed with food prepared by my Mom for both of us. We will walk to the Panipat Railway station separately from our home in Kalandar Chowk for a distance of about one mile.

Papa ji always reached the station ahead of all others. My friends will often comment why my Dad came clear half an hour ahead of the train which never ever reached on time. While undertaking the journey we will not sit in the same compartment. I had good gala time gossiping with my friends while Dad took care of the tiffin box and oftenly doing Sukhmani Sahib on a small pocket size Gutka.



After getting down at Karnal Railway Station,  my Dad will quickly rush to the cycle parking yard and pick his cycle for our final lap of journey to our respective offices. He made me sit on the carrier behind. He would ride the cycle to the courts and hurry to the court which was often in session with the honorable judge settled in his seat.  Thanks to the delayed running of the train.


I shall take the same bicycle further to my office. And by 1 PM, I shall again return to Dads Court to eat lunch along with Dad and his colleagues. His peon will help us to warm the food for everybody. At times Judge saw me and I would bow to him in respect.


At Madgaon Beach, Goa in 1987 where we stayed at Ocean Front huts at the courtesy of Mr D'Souza a Chief Engineer of Electricity Department, Government of Goa and a very dear friend of mine.

The Senior Sub Judge Mr R P Gaind seemed to be nice and very considerate one. They were post colonial period and every office procedure had still a colonial touch of dignity in behaving with higher ranks.

One day the Judge asked my Dad  about me as to who this young Attorney was?  Dad told him that it was his son who got a job recently and is posted with Public Works Department of the Punjab Government in the Electrical Department.  The Judge was glad to know and asked my Dad to introduce his son to him.
So honorable Judge R P Gaind met me in his chamber and talked about the pleasantries over a cup of tea. During the discussions, he also enquired about Rellies table Fan for his chamber as the maintainance and procurement of electrical appliances for Gobernment  was my responsibility. I could not help him with a table fan though. But yes! all fans and switches in his court were immediately replaced and all electrical pending works were attended to on priority.

Now the learned judge always reacted with a broad and friendly smile to my greetings with a bow.

At a later stage, Papa ji told me that the judge has been promoted as Additional Session Judge in Jalandhar and continued to be a popular Judge with dignity and integrity.

Today ie after more than 5 decades:"

I tried to remember him and made a thorough  further research on him on net,  I write with utmost remorse that poor Judge R.P. Gaind fell to a cruel bullet of a terrorist. I am sad That I cannot give this story a pleasing end as it is impossible to reverse the facts. I pray to Waheguru ji that my heart drenched with sorrowful feelings should reach his peaceful soul wherever it is resting.

No comments: