Tuesday, June 11, 2024

My cricket best score



Warming up before a match near my hostel room in Chandigarh 

I recall this moment in 1963 when I was warming up near my hostel room in Chandigarh. I had a craze for playing cricket and was a top-order batsman, generally opening the innings for my college. During an inter-college tournament, we traveled to Sundar Nagar to play our last match in the league. At that time, I was out of form, and the team management decided to lower my position in the batting order.

As luck would have it, there was a sudden collapse in the higher order, and wickets tumbled quickly. I was sent in as the fourth down batsman, feeling angry about being demoted and determined to prove my worth. I began pulling out of the crease and hitting the bowlers all around, earning huge applause from my team in this distant city. I scored 43 not out and was instrumental in securing the victory for our college team.

By the time we reached our hostels, word had spread about our victory. That was the last game of the season, and I felt so good.

No comments: